Saturday, November 3, 2007

But I Don’t Feel Fat

We constantly hear that America is a nation afflicted with obesity, yet it’s rare that we notice the subtle ways in which corporations manipulate what we perceive as normal. As we approach the holiday season, full of time with friends, family and sanctioned gorging, I stumbled upon the following interesting consumer fact, I thought I would share.

While shopping at a local “Big Box” retailer, I suddenly decided that I needed a new pair of undergarments. (I suspect subliminal advertising.) As I perused the selection of boxer shorts by an unnamed manufacturer (rhymes with panes), I thought something seemed different. Of course I took my purchase home and compared it to the other contents of my drawer. And sure enough, my new pair of “Medium” boxer shorts measure 34”-36”, where my old standbys were 32”-34”. The concept of small, medium and large has been redefined for men across America. The sinister thing is, most people will never notice. The new norm becomes business as usual.

So, now my medium shorts are big on me. You can bet that I’ll be having desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment